To evaluate the effectiveness of the global social trust pilot cash transfers in improving the health status and outcomes and reducing impoverishment from catastrophic health expenditure of poor pregnant women and mothers of children under five.
The conditionalities supposed to be met by the beneficiaries include the following;
1. obtaining the prescribed pre-natal care for mother and child
2. delivery with skilled attendant.
3. obtaining full immunization for child.
4. completing prescribed health check-ups for each child in the family up to 5 years of age.
5. registration for health insurance.
6. ensuring good child nutrition.
7. ensuring birth registration.
ILO/Ghana-Luxembourg Social Trust (GLST) Project
Selection of beneficiaries (poor pregnant women in the two districts)
- Participants were selected using the Government of Ghana’s Livelihood Empowerment Against Poverty (LEAP) methodology as cases.
Role of DHRC
- Provide matching controls of beneficiaries using socio-economic variables collected longitudinally by its Health and Demographic Surveillance System (HDSS).
- Monitor and evaluate the Conditional Cash transfer through data collection among others.
- Baseline survey has been completed
- Intermediate survey is expected to be completed by March 2014.
Baseline Results 2